Sunday 1 September 2013

Cornish Cliffs



From a photograph taken somewhere in Cornwall, this is my best effort yet in terms of using an image for information as opposed to being enslaved by it. More and more I've come to believe that simplifying and selecting source material is a technical skill in it's own right, one that requires hard work and determination if it is to be mastered, unless of course it comes naturally. With me it certainly doesn't!! In terms of tone, I lost my way a little at times, there were some frenetic and at times, desperate running repairs going on at certain points. It's a strange thing this confidence factor, enabling an artist to surprise even himself one moment, evaporating like a ghost the very next. I use the word "ghost" deliberately, a loss of confidence can haunt you for a very long time. Well, as you can see, the struggle ended eventually. My desk at the finish was piled high with colour-stained kitchen roll, paint tubes and brushes languished forlornly in puddles of murky water an I, breathing hard, finally recovered from my nervous breakdown. I reflected on how something which is supposed to be such a pleasure can, at times, be so damned stressful! The whole event must have been very entertaining to watch though. Time to relax with some doodling.....  Watercolour and gouache on Langton 140lb NOT. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This picture leaves me speechless. I am full of admiration! Your text is beautiful too. I like it so much how you have described your experience with regard to the painting process. I have similar feelings when I paint and got always the impression that a picture suddenly starts a life of it's own or sometimes I suspect, that something inside of me, i never realized before, takes the opportunity to appear in the picture now. (Sorry for my English. I'm not as good as you in describing my experience in a foreign language.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give yourself some credit Stefanie, your use of english is just fine. I admire anyone for being able to communicate with a second language, we english are very lazy in that respect, we rarely take the trouble! I agree with you in that sometimes pictures take on a life of their own. Trouble is, as in the case of this one, they are not always friendly!!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colors in this painting. As far as working with reference material, over time it gets easier and that comes with confidence. The more you learn the more confident you become it just takes time. For me painting on location opened my eyes to color and gave me the confidence to change things in the reference material. Most of my outdoor paintings are rough and unfinished but are a great learning tool.
    I like the mist at the base of the cliffs, also the foreground shadow adding a touch of depth to the painting.
    I had to laugh at your description of what you went thru painting this, I go thru the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I agree that working from life is very useful, I have a lot of time for "rough" pictures done on location. It's frustrating that I haven't really been well enough to get out and do it. It seems that both you and Stephanie share my experiences during painting. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love the hard edges of the rocks in the foreground and the rough, sharp ones in the background. Nice movement to the water!!! You may have struggled with this...but your persistence really paid off. Well done, Kevin!!! There are times that painting is a fight...but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. The trouble is, when I look at it, all I see are areas where I experienced problems!! I agree with you though about the fight being worth it, if it's worth starting, it's worth finishing - most of the time - LOL!!!

      Delete